Friday, August 1, 2014

Ready, Set, Let's Roll

Three days until I leave for Kenya and I can't begin to describe the whirlwind of emotions I'm experiencing. I'm excited, obviously. I've never been outside of the country, and I've never even flown before. It will be amazing to finally get to experience a different part of the world, especially one so rich in culture and history as Africa. On the other hand, I know that there are difficult days ahead as well; Africa is no picnic from a medical standpoint. I will be tested to the limits of my capacity, and I only hope that I will rise to the occasion--not just for the purpose of representing myself and Purdue well, but for the sake of my patients.

It will no doubt be one of the most difficult, rewarding experiences of my life. I'm not really the type to get homesick--I never really have--but 8 weeks is a long time to be away from those I love. Namely Taco Bell and Colts football. I will also really miss, in no particular order of importance: my girlfriend, my family, my friends, Purdue, golfing, La Hacienda, and not having to worry about getting ebola.

It's impossible to explain how strange it is to think that this will be the first time in 18 years that I will not be walking into a classroom come mid-May. I'm sure it's the same way for the rest of my classmates, but it will be especially weird considering I will be halfway across the world.

The plan is to name each post after a song that I feel represents the theme of my day, and end each post with an African proverb. Bear in mind that I will have found most of these proverbs on the internet, so they may in fact be hokum.

I will try to post at least once every other day as time permits while I am over there, but please forgive me if I am unable to post a few days in a row. It either means I have been busy or kidnapped and waiting for my dad to go all Liam Neeson from "Taken" on the continent of Africa.

"Traveling is learning." ~ Kenyan proverb

2 comments:

  1. If anyone (aside from my dad) could go Liam Neeson on Africa, it's Chris. (Although to be honest I was always more afraid of Kim...) Good Luck Cuz!

    ReplyDelete