Thursday, September 11, 2014

Don't Go Chasing Waterfalls

So last weekend we kinda just hung out here at the complex, but on Sunday we took a trip to a place about 40 minutes away called Umbrella Falls. As the name implies, it was about a 1-2 hour hike that centered around a waterfall. Eldoret has two turbines that harness the power of the water to generate electricity. It was absolutely awesome. I really enjoy hiking, especially challenging ones, and this was most certainly a challenging one at that. Anyone who knows me well knows that I love doing stunts that may or may not put my body slightly in harm's way and definitely would make my mother furious--I think that comes partially from my dad. The point being, it takes a fair amount for me to even really get nervous. This hike wasn't particularly physically challenging, but being a waterfall there were some fairly frictionless rocks that we had to step on. Eventually though, we reached our destination: we were behind the waterfall. It was a short, quick hike but I relished every second of it. I hope you enjoy the pictures. In case you wonder, the reason that the water may appear brown is because Eldoret is wrapping up its rain season; the rain washes a lot of the soil into the river that pours over the waterfall, thus the soily, brownish tinge. Still breathtaking nonetheless!

"The surface of the water is beautiful, but it is no good to sleep on." ~ Ghanian proverb


















No comments:

Post a Comment