Sunday, September 14, 2014

The Lazy Song

This weekend we opted for a very relaxing trip to the Rondo Retreat House in Kakamega Forest, about 2.5 hours outside of Eldoret. It was just what we needed. There wasn't any wifi there, so I apologize if anyone was trying to contact me this weekend. We stayed in this nice little cottage with a couple of new IU Med students and a new friend we met at the hospital from Holland. It was a blast. We did about a 3.5 hour hike through the forest when we got there on Saturday to the Yala River and back. When we got back we showered up and relaxed a bit. I did some reading on the front porch and we even played some euchre, which I had not played in far too long. Before you ask the rhetorical question, of course my partner and I won best of three (although we did get slaughtered 10-0 in the first game). Dinner was delicious and I had the best mango juice I have ever had in my life. If there is one thing I'm going to miss when I return to the United States, it's the fruit and juices here. I have become a passion fruit juice fanatic, and the fruit everywhere here is so fresh and juicy it's amazing. I bought a mango from the market this past week, and it was one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted…

Sorry, friends, got a little sidetracked. Anyway after dinner we played more euchre, I read some more, and then went to bed. This morning we woke up to leave for our hike at 5:30. Our guide took us to a tall hill overlooking the entire forest where we could watch the sunrise. It was a sight I won't soon forget, and definitely worth waking up at 5 on a Sunday. After that our cab driver, Max, taught us how to play a Kenyan card game. Long story short, it's a Kenyan version of Uno. It was a lot of fun. All in all, just a nice relaxing weekend to prepare us for our final full week at the hospital. It was exactly what I needed.

"Peace is costly, but it is worth the expense." ~ Kenyan proverb











No comments:

Post a Comment