Sunday, September 7, 2014

The Lion Sleeps Tonight

To my devoted followers, as I'm sure you are many: I am very sorry for my absence of posting for the last couple of weeks. Goings-on have been rather hectic as of late concerning the hospital, and when I'm not at the hospital or studying up on some drug or disease state I'm either sleeping or letting my brain chillax for just a little bit… before I go to sleep. Blogging has become a little bit more difficult to fit into my schedule than I anticipated, but nevertheless I shall try to make up for lost time with a few posts tonight. Luckily, this one will be rather simple, as it shall be mostly pictures.

Last weekend (August 29th and 30th) we went to Maasai Mara. The Maasai are one of the many tribes in Africa, and the Mara is a huge expanse of land near the Kenyan-Tanzanian border that is home to a ton of animals. We left very early Friday morning, as it is roughly a 7 hour drive (8 if you include the hour we stopped for lunch). The first place we visited was a Maasai village. It was incredible to be able to visit one in person. It is a very small village, made up of a circle of huts made of mud, cow dung, and grass. The huts are surrounded by a fence made of long, sharpened sticks and a lot of bramble. We got to meet the Maasai people. Our host, Julius, talked to us a little bit about Maasai culture. Boys are expected to become warriors and help protect the camp from dangerous wildlife once they turn 18 years old. He showed us inside of one of the huts; let's just say it wasn't a five-star hotel. He then informed us that their chief has 15 wives and 92 children. Woof. After that, they showed us how they start fire using soft wood and hard wood, and then the ladies of the tribe sang a traditional welcome song for guests. We then returned to our camp, wolfed down some food, and got some shut eye to wake up early for what promised to be an amazing day.

Roughly 12 hours spent in a safari van. It was worth every minute. We saw all kinds of animals. Overall, an awesome weekend. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves. As a headsup, many of the pictures aren't mine. I decided it's easier to let people with better, more expensive cameras record our findings and then steal their photos afterwards. Enjoy!

"An army of sheep lead by a lion can defeat an army of lions lead by a sheep." ~ Ghanaian proverb






























1 comment:

  1. Grandma and I just realized that it's amazing that we knew the species of every animal that was pictured. Isn't God magnificent in His Creation and in every one's learning abilities to have the capacity to experience Him in all the Glory He is, in creation and in each other. Thank God for GOD!!!

    ReplyDelete